For my instructional illustration I am going to design a recipe informing people as to how to make a candy-floss pavlova. I chose this particular food as I feel it is quite crazy, as takes a stereotypical pavlova, and uses a slightly more un common combination (seen through adding candy-floss to the top). I intend to use a produce a Wacom drawing in Photoshop, and then perhaps develop it further by using scanned in media.
Starting my Illustration
Using Google images, I found a picture of two eggs which I planned to draw as the first step of my instructional illustration. Despite my recipe involving four eggs, I decided to start with two, and later draw more, or explain within my recipe that more than two is needed.
The three photos below show the process I took when drawing out the first egg. Using the eyedropper tool, I selected different areas of the egg and drew them over the top of the image. This was in an attempt to get the most accurate colours to use as the egg. Then, using the Mixer Brush Tool, I mixed the colours together as smoothly as I could to get them as close to the actual appearance of the egg as I could. At this point I felt my egg was done, but comparing it to the image, it seemed considerably different. Once taking a closer look at the photo, I realised that the egg was speckled, and therefore did not have as smooth an appearance as I had assumed. To add the speckles, I used brush number 66, (located in the brush panel), and used it to create this dotted effect. Now I have completed one egg, I intend to go on to working on the next one.
When deciding how to produce my second egg, I realised that I could save a lot of time by duplicating the first one I had drawn, and by shading, make it look like a second egg. I also decided to make my design differ from the original photo slightly, by putting the eggs closer together and then placing the shading in the centre, below them. The reason for putting the eggs so close together was due to feeling they appeared more like they were floating with the gap between them in my illustration. I therefore felt that my design was stronger if they were not parted.
Overall, I am not that happy with the eggs I have drawn and despite trying to make them look quite real, I feel that they’re strange shape and the shading is unrealistic. If I have time, I may come back to develop them further because of this.
Now I am onto the next part of the illustration, where I am going to draw another egg (this time cracked open) to show the idea that the egg yolk must be parted from the egg whites. Without showing, or explaining this, the recipe could go quite wrong. The picture below I found on Google images, and intend to draw to show this process.
Using the same process as what I used to draw the first lot of eggs, I have started to work on the next egg illustration.
(above picture found on Google images)
(picture above found on Google images)